Green Arts Recycling Program
Winner of the Gold Pinnacle Award for Best Recycling Program
from the International Festivals and Events Association
The Des Moines Arts Festival® and official sponsor, Hy-Vee join forces to reduce, reuse and recycle at the 2012 Festival with environmentally-friendly initiatives and a little creativity.
• Vinyl banners used for the Festival have been recycled and made into tote bags that can be purchased at Arts Festival Shops on-site.
• Free bike valet service provided by Friends of Central Iowa Trails encourages guests to cycle to the Festival instead of driving.
• Interactive arts activities use ReWall, a construction grade solution made from 100% recycled materials. In addition, the project uses soybased paints.
• All generators, refrigerated, and freezer trucks on the Festival site will run on a biodiesel blend
• A solar generator is also used on-site at the Festival.
• Any paper correspondence is printed on recycled paper and postconsumer waste materials
• Food vendors are required to use biodegradable plates, utensils, napkins, and containers.
• Artists and volunteers provided designated water coolers stations to fill reusable bottles eliminating thousands of disposable plastic bottles
• Binders provided to artists and other participants are eco-friendly, made from 100% post-consumer waste and can be recycled.
• Other merchandise options are non-woven bags that can be reused by guests as tote bags, and reusable water bottles.
• Beverages sold in recyclable plastic bottles or poured into compostable cups made from corn.
• The application process for the juried art fair is completely paperless by using an online registration, application, jury and communications system called ZAPPlication.
• Six waste stations are positioned throughout the Festival site to accommodate efforts.
Paint the Skywalk combines the innovation of emerging Iowa artists with the efforts of the Principal Financial Group to beautify the downtown skywalk system. The Principal is a co-sponsor of the Des Moines Arts Festival and presenter of the Emerging Iowa Artists program.
Guests at the Festival will be invited to help create a mural inspired by the work of one of the emerging artists exhibiting at this year's Festival; just like the one seen here that was executed last year. The artist, Abby Butson, is an art student at Grand View College in Des Moines.
Butson’s original painting was magically transformed into a giant mural that is now on permanent display in the Partnership Building in downtown Des Moines.
The final mural contains 500 panels and measures nearly 10 foot x 13 foot.
If you would like to help create the new mural, visit The Principal booth at the Des Moines Arts Festival June 28-30.
Join Hy-Vee associates to design and decorate your own reusable bag!