Graphic Design Intern - Summer
- Category: Internships
- Deadline: May 18, 2018
- Contact: Stephen King (515-286-4927)
- Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Des Moines Arts Festival® Graphic Design Intern will assist the Arts Festival staff in the preparation and execution of the Festival. The position begins in May, immediately following the end of the Spring Semester (or sooner if available), and runs through the three-day event at the end of June, ending the last week in July. This key position assists staff in the preparation and execution of the Festival’s collateral materials, including signage, print ads, electronic ads, marketing materials, sponsorship materials, credentials, etc.
Job duties will include, but are not limited to: designing signage, creating ads and program materials, executing programs, compiling/updating information, responding to email, creating credentials, creating packets, artist relations, volunteer relations, and manual labor. All interns are involved in the day-to-day operations of the organization. We work together as a team, helping each other successfully execute the details of the event production. Extensive hours are required during the week of the event, and likely during the month of June leading up to the event (nights & weekends where needed). All interns are expected to contribute to the overall success of the Festival including load-in and load-out of the Festival and any ‘heavy lifting’ required to be successful.
At the conclusion of the internship, each intern is encouraged to compile a collection finished materials to add to their portfolio, providing a tangible asset for their resume.
Qualifications we seek:
• Very detail-oriented
• Self-sufficient independent worker
• Upbeat and positive attitude
• Enjoys manual labor and hands-on activities
• Can handle working outdoors (in any weather element) and on their feet for several hours
Skills we seek:
• Solid working knowledge of most computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, Publisher.
• Extensive knowledge and experience with design programs is a MUST (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop).
• Photography skills including experience using an SLR camera are a plus.
• Solid writing and communication via letter writing and emails.