Des Moines Arts Festival says, "Go Green or Go Home"
Friday, June 2, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Des Moines Arts Festival says, “Go Green or Go Home”
Festival’s sustainability efforts taken to a whole new level
Des Moines, IA – June 2, 2017 – The Des Moines Arts Festival® has worked steadily alongside key stakeholders since 2013 to reduce, reuse and recycle with environmentally-friendly initiatives. This year is no exception as the Festival joins forces with Voya Financial with the goal to be Zero Waste through landfill diversion.
To ensure this vision is not compromised, a Sustainability Team will be on the ground dedicated to ensuring the following plan will be implemented and carried out:
- Seventeen custom-designed waste stations, positioned throughout the Festival site, accommodate recyclables, compostables, and landfill waste. These waste stations will have pictures of products to identify where they go.
- All Festival food vendors are required to use biodegradable plates, utensils, napkins, and containers.
- A free bike valet service is provided by Friends of Central Iowa Trails to encourage guests to cycle rather than drive.
- DART will provide complimentary rides to and from the Festival for volunteers.
- Paper correspondence has been replaced with electronic.
- Beverages are sold in compostable cups or recyclable plastic or aluminum bottles.
- Generators, refrigerators and freezer trucks are run on a biodiesel blend.
- Artists, volunteers and vendors are provided designated water stations to fill reusable bottles rather than disposable plastic bottles.
- Boy Scout Troop 111 out of Grimes will assist with on-site recycling to ensure that materials are sorted and uncontaminated.
Interested in learning more? Details can be found at desmoinesartsfestival.org/sustainability/.
The Gold Grand Pinnacle Award-winning Des Moines Arts Festival® is a free annual three-day arts and culture Festival the last weekend in June surrounding the John and Mary Pappajohn Sculpture Park. The Festival invites you to ‘go where it takes you…’ by engaging with 180 invited professional visual artists, emerging Iowa artists, the cutting-edge Interrobang Film Festival, and more. For more information visit us online at www.desmoinesartsfestival.org or socialize with us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/DesMoinesArtsFestival, Twitter at @DMArtsFestival, and Instagram at @desmoinesartsfestival. #DMAF20 #GoWhereItTakesYou
Leave Your Comments
We welcome your comments. Please leave your ideas and opinions below.